Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Deceptively Delicious brownies

Well. It is my great pleasure to inform you that healthy brownies do indeed, exist. I just love food, especially dessert. So much so that I am unwilling to give it up. Rather, I decided to do a bit of research and see if a brownie existed that wasn't all that bad. After all, I'd heard of zucchini brownies and figured surely there must be something else. Came across this recipe with carrots and spinach. I'll repeat that as you're probably sure you read it wrong...carrots and spinach. In brownie. It sounds weird I know...fortunately I am the type of person that does not like to write off strange recipes without first giving them a shot. So I tested it out this afternoon and they're absolutely delicious. Possibly more delicious than a normal brownie - I think because having vegetables in it gives it more depth and some actual nutrients, rather than simply sugar and processed rubbish. And you can't actually even taste or really see the carrots or spinach (perfect way to sneak veggies into those you can't get to eat them - the snowboard school falls under that category. I can't wait for them to try these...:D) Without further adieu...the recipe that (even if you didn't know it), you've been waiting for most of your life...

Deceptively Delicious Brownies
  
  • 3 oz semisweet/bittersweet chocolate
  • 1/2 cup carrot puree* (steam/boil 10-12 minutes until soft and then puree in food processor)
  • 1/2 cup spinach puree* (steam 2 minutes and puree in food processor)
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 egg whites
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat, but white will also work)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.
  2. Melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave on low heat so as not to burn.
  3. In large bowl, combine melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth and creamy.
  4. Whisk in egg whites. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt with a spoon.
  5. Pour into pan and bake 35-40 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
*the second time I made it I used raspberry puree instead of spinach, which also worked. Feel free to experiment and let me know if you come across an amazing combination!
 The recipe claims this gives 12 pieces, but I think they must mean child-size pieces. For me it would give 6 Rebecca-size pieces. Which is a nice sized piece of dessert.
 

Those of you who dig nutritional info, here's all I know...recipe claims 133 calories per brownie, 3 grams of fiber (crazy in a brownie), plus amazing antioxidant due to vegetable goodness.

Enjoy! Let me know how it works for you.

Bless you!

No comments: