Thursday, August 23, 2012

Something from "nothing"

I just want to recommend this book I just finished to you...

    
It's a biography of Ben Carson, and his journey from being what the world saw as a "nobody"- a colored boy from the ghetto of Detroit, into being a sought-after neurosurgeon. I love it because he's super humble and relational. I imagine it would be easy to get proud in that position, but he simply explains he's just using the gifts God gave him.

And he talks about an important value his mama taught him growing up - people are people. Meaning classes, color, gender, status in the workplace doesn't matter, we're all people. And you can see that in how he talks about his work. His accounts of amazing near-impossible surgeries he's done are not credited to him, but first and foremost to God, and then to the whole team he works with - from top surgeons to administrative staff.

Check it out, let me know what you think.

No comments: