Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I like to freestyle

You know something? Recipes are real boring sometimes. I'm just realizing this more and more as I cook. I used to be mindblown at those who seemed to do the impossible-that is cook without a recipe. Then I felt the iron cage of recipes and saw the light :D. Here's to quotes that I read yesterday:

  1. We are ourselves creations. We are meant to continue creativity by being creative ourselves. This is the God-force extending itself through us. Creativity is God's gift to us. Using creativity is our gift back to God.
  2. Cooking is like love-it should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
 I think it just clicked yesterday for me, that I CAN cook without a recipe. I made a big ol' pot of soup yesterday (aren't you proud mom?!). Kinda funny, I was just slicing tomatoes and didn't want to throw away the ends, so I was like, heck, why don't I try out that new tomato soup recipe? Somehow this seemed like a really good idea in spite of the fact that I've never ever made soup before. And so the journey began...but after maybe 5 minutes I got tired of running back and forth from the pot to the recipe to see what went next. Then I realized we didn't have all the ingredients. Well enough of that, how hard can it be to make a pot of soup? I thought. And so I closed my recipe book, through caution to the wind, said a little prayer and off I went. And it ended up tasting great! Funny thing is I'll probably never make the exact same pot of soup again. And I have no idea how to write that "recipe" down, b/c it was helter-skelter freestyling in my apron cooking. A pinch of this a palm of that a little prayer here...

Anyway. So continues life in the kitchen. Don't ask me for recipes :p
 

No comments: