Thursday, March 8, 2012

Well. Still standing after 5 days in the kitchen. You know something-God's a funny guy. So before outreach I remember saying you couldn't pay me to cook, and as soon as I arrived back from outreach He really put it on my heart and I couldn't see myself doing anything else. So now I have the privilege of working with a wonderful women who has been a professional chef for something like 18 years. I'm kinda like a gopher, but I really don't mind. I don't know alot, but I'm absorbing everything I can like a sponge. I am learning many things...a bottle top covered in aluminum foil makes a handy drain plug. Letting surfaces heat before adding veggies works way better. For everything there is a season...a time to peel and a time to refrain from peeling. Whilst I'm not a big salt fan the general consensus is to keep the masses happy the soup needs salt. Aioli makes an excellent salad dressing. A serrated knife is key when cutting tomatoes. Having a dish crew to come in and wash all your dishes (it seems everyday we use half the dishes in the kitchen for each meal!) is a wonderful blessing. And so on and so forth.

I am having a hayday in the kitchen, chopping and chopping and chopping and then chopping some more, helping the chef put out delicious and nutritious concoctions for the masses. I laugh at myself alot, as I dip the oven mitt in batter checking cupcakes, or ruin my facade that I know what I'm doing because I've smeared chocolate batter all across my apron. (I think if I'm wearing an apron I might as well make use of it-the person doing laundry probably doesn't agree :p) I am gaining huge respect for cooks and realizing cooking is a very physical job-no joke, I'm sure I can see new muscle forming already from all the lifting :D. I enjoy being in the kitchen, and I also enjoy leaving the kitchen and relaxing after dinner.

Anyway. That's basically what my week has involved. Now time for some rest and relaxation this weekend. And my brothers and sisters from Justice DTS are coming back this weekend-so I'm uber excited to see and catch up with them.

And then back to the grind Monday, cooking for even more masses!

1 comment:

Ana said...

Dear Rebecca,
It's Ana from Canada writing to you. A belated happy birthday to you. We are doing well, and think of you from time to time. I'm glad you're enjoying your visits to different countries. Keep blogging. I still am.